Bross Bennett

Family Law Solicitors London

Telephone: 020 8340 0444

Domestic abuse banner image - statue
Home >> Our services >> Domestic Abuse

Domestic Abuse

If you or your children are experiencing harassment or domestic abuse, you need to seek help urgently. We can give you advice about making an application to court for instant protection. We understand these steps are often taken in very difficult circumstances, and we aim to help and support our clients through these stages. We are responsive in a crisis and can take immediate action to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones.

There are two types of family law injunctions available, a non-molestation order and an occupation order. Both can be made without the other person being informed of your application until after the court order has been made and served on them.

A non-molestation order prohibits the other person from using or threatening violence, or being abusive, harassing or pestering you. Such orders carry an immediate power of arrest should the other person breach the terms of the order in anyway.

An occupation order is an order that limits and defines the occupation of your home. It can prohibit, for example, the other person from coming into your bedroom or it can exclude the other person from the home and area that you live in altogether. The fact that the other person is the legal owner of that home has no bearing on such orders.

Every case is different. Here are some of the steps we advise people in these difficult situations to think about:

  • Report any incidents to the police
  • Go to your GP if you have been assaulted
  • Ask a trusted friend to take photographs of any injuries
  • If abusive messages are left on your telephone, then keep the messages
  • Make diary notes so that you can recall the dates and incidents

These can all be important pieces of evidence if you decide to apply to court for protection.

We have a team of compassionate and experienced advisors ready to advice and work with you to secure your safety and that of any children involved.

Please contact Caroline Falkus or Adam Witkover if you want to discuss your situation.